Vendors with Unix SoftwareFind vendor specific software on our Unix
Unix Related Software
- Catalog of Free Compilers and Interpretors - The best index of free compilers,
interpretors, libraries, and languages out there. Rated with features; searchable.
- Free software foundation - Some of the best software on the net. (GNU)
- FreeCode.com (used to be freshmeat.net) - maintains the Web's largest index of Unix and
cross-platform software, themes and related "eye-candy". They say about their site: "Freecode maintains the
Web's largest index of Linux, Unix and cross-platform software, and mobile applications. Thousands of
applications, which are preferably released under an open source license, are meticulously cataloged in the
Freecode database, and links to new applications are added daily. Each entry provides a description of the
software, links to download it and to obtain more information, and a history of the project's releases, so
readers can keep up-to-date on the latest developments."
- The Cgi Resources Index - Large amounts of free C/C++/Java/Perl scripts/programs.
- Some websites might require you to install an ActiveX (Internet Explorer is available for Unix) control to
see certain content or perform specific tasks. Test your active x instal for free today!
- MySQL - runs well - FREE. FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris/SCO/NT/Win32/OS2 supported. Won Linux
- Mini SQL - not as robust as postgres - no longer free, though a free download seems to
- Postgres - runs okay - FREE. FreeBSD/Linux/Solaris and most other Unixes supported.
Postgres says, "PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system. It has more than 15
years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for
reliability, data integrity, and correctness. It runs on all major operating systems, including Linux, UNIX
(AIX, BSD, HP-UX, SGI IRIX, Mac OS X, Solaris, Tru64), and Windows."
- Informix - runs okay. Linux supported. IBM says, "IBM Informix products and tools are
enhanced with features designed to exploit the benefits of Linux."
- Oracle software - a very robust database for Unix. Linux supported.
- Sybase - a faster database -- good for internet transactions due to less overhead.
Software ~ Databases ~ System Admin Tools
Mailing List Software ~ Paging ~ Bug Tracking ~ Other
System Admin Tools
- SyMON - a free system management utility. symon is a system monitor for FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OpenBSD and Linux. It can be used to obtain accurate and up to date information on the performance of a
number of systems.
- Note: Sun has renamed Sun Enterprise SyMON to Sun Management Center with the release of version 2.1.
- Halcyon FAQ for Sun Management Center 3.0
- Halcyon add-on modules for Sun Enterprise SyMON - Monitor databases, applications and
other platforms ( NT) through the Sun Management Center console.
- Tivoli - Monitors system for full filesystems, etc. Integrated with many products.
- Amanda - The Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver - Free backup software
for your network
- Syncsort - originally a conversion product for going from IBM Mainframe to Unix, now a
large variety of services.
Mailing List Software
- Mailman - GNU Mailing List Manager, Mailman is free software for managing electronic
mail discussion and e-newsletter lists. Mailman is integrated with the web, making it easy for users to
manage their accounts and for list owners to administer their lists. Mailman supports built-in archiving,
automatic bounce processing, content filtering, digest delivery, spam filters, and more.
- The Petidomo Mailing List manager - free for non-commercial use. (Dead?)
- ListServe - free trail copies. Could NOT find real price on website. Claims to be
one of the largest. Available for several flavors of Unix/Linux, Mac, and Windows.
Let Aweber do the work